A water garden is an area in the landscape where water is used as a design feature. Water gardens can be any size; however, it is important that the water garden be integrated into the greater landscape plan.
Location for the Water Garden
- Have an overall plan and integrate the water garden into the existing landscape
- Use as an accent or focal point
- Avoid placing in the middle of a turf area
- Decide what style will be used (formal / informal / naturalistic)
- Determine the size of the water garden
- Determine the type – will it include plants, fish
- Choose appropriate materials, construction
- Consider maintenance: water quality, algae control, fish diseases, temperature, predation
Conserving Water in Water Gardens
See Water Features Conserving Water for more information on conserving water in water gardens.