A wildflower is a non-cultivated flower growing naturally in the landscape. Wildflower gardens may consist of native or non-native plants that have naturalized on a site. They are often combined with grasses to provide a more natural and attractive look and feel.
Benefits of wildflowers
- Attract beneficial insects such as butterflies and bees
- Reduce water use in the landscape
- Adapted to harsher soil conditions than many other landscape plants
- Bloom throughout growing season
- They can be annual, biennial, or perennial