Good soil preparation for flower beds helps create and maintain a healthy garden and can also reduce water requirements.
Things to keep in mind include:
- Conduct a soil test to determine existing soil texture, nutrients, and pH
- Tilling wet soil can destroy soil structure
- Add organic matter to improve soil drainage and texture
- Prepare planting beds in late summer or fall to avoid wet soil
- Weed treatment and sod removal can be done in the fall without affecting flower beds as much
- Use appropriate plants for climate and soil type
Following these few principles can make the difference between a thriving flower garden and one that requires constant watering, fertilizing, and maintenance.
Proper soil care will reward the gardener with years of beautiful flowers. Source: YouTube – Southwest Yard and Garden – How to Prepare a Flower Bed for Spring Part I