Using mulch is a great way to add visual interest to the landscape. It can be used to create a neat appearance and help define the edges of planting beds. It also has a variety of excellent benefits.
Once mulch has been applied, it is relatively easy to maintain…but, mulch can also look messy if not contained in a planting bed or other area such as a path.
Considerations for Maintaining Mulched Areas
- Use raised edging materials to keep mulch contained
- Dig a deep edge or trench along planting beds with a flat garden spade to keep mulch off of turf or other areas
- Renew organic mulch yearly or as needed
- Buy mulch in bulk to save money
- Keep mulch away from trunks of trees and shrubs
- Rake or break up old matted mulch
- Avoid using inorganic mulches in areas where leaves and other debris can collect