Irrigation of these areas is often overlooked, and parking strips can become unsightly. Property owners adjacent to the park strip are required to maintain it. Some ways that that this can be done include the following:
- Install an automated overhead spray sprinkler system that waters only the park strip.
- Size odd shaped areas correctly to fit spray patterns or converted drip irrigation. These can be surface or subsurface systems using a variety of emitter types and tubing.
- Dragging a hose out to the parking strip. This is often the least effective method. It is forgotten unless a timer is used. Sprinkler patterns can be unevenly distributed.
- Plant with adapted low water-use plants and use one of the above methods of irrigation especially during the first year or two of establishing a good plant root system.
- Use non plant materials such as rock or gravel in narrow or small odd areas if allowed by the municipal code and use no irrigation.