Basics of Organic Landscape Maintenance
Many people are interested in reducing or eliminating pesticides and inorganic fertilizers in the landscape because of concerns about water quality and potential toxic threats to humans, pets, bees, birds, and other wildlife.
One way to achieve this is by using organic landscape maintenance. Organic maintenance practices include the elimination of toxic synthetic pesticides and fertilizers and reducing the amount of water used in the landscape. Note that improper use of organic and inorganic products can result in environmental problems. Always apply a product according to its label.
Benefits of Using Organic Maintenance – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Reduces leaching of toxic pesticides and inorganic fertilizers into groundwater
- Uses mulch to conserve water and help control annual weeds
- Reduces or eliminates potential toxic effects of pesticides and fertilizers on wildlife
- Reduces costs associated with purchase of chemicals
- Reuses organic wastes as compost
An increasing number of landscape companies offer organic alternatives to their customers. Check the Web for landscape businesses that provide these services.
Organic Lawn Information